Wednesday, 22 March 2017

Present is the souvenir of the future

Yesterday we were on a de-cluttering spree. As we kept unloading and scrubbing spaces off the unwanted items, a jute bag caught my attention. Upon opening it, I paused. The rest of the world settled in the background and I got fairly lost in the articles kept inside that bag.

It reminded me of a particular slot of time, passed years ago. There were glues, glitters, colorful cello tapes, hand made craft items such as envelops and paper bags, stones and buttons, colorful strips for paper quilling, tiny boxes, silky yarn, a few toothpicks, models to create more paper bags and envelops...a time restored in one bag with non-working zip. As I kept on exploring those items, I felt I was taken back into the time where I was something else...someone who was enthusiastic and optimistic for her Art & Craft Sale to work, to wow people. I remember I had made dozens of beautiful eye-catching papers boxes and envelops of various kinds, sizes and colors packed nicely in plastic wraps. Some festival was upcoming (probably Diwali) and I had decided to put my time for a good use by organizing a sale of hand made items. I had also put some more things bought from the market such as little lipstick cases, sets of gel pens etc. It had taken almost a month to get all the things sized up, cut, glued, decorated and finalized. And when the sale was up at my home and my neighbors and friends turned up, the appreciation and praise in their eyes were quite visible. I still remember how delighted I was during that 3 days sale. I was the lone staff and the manager of the event and it was alright. I was the one holding every piece of the sale together. Not all the items vanished from the shelf but yes, many of them did. People loved them and I loved the experience. I was neither an author nor a guitarist or a blogger that time. I was simply a housewife which still continues to be one of my identities.

Now after all those years looking upon these items, I was overwhelmed. Glues have dried out, one or two stones have fallen out from the packaged boxes, envelops have lost their shape (due to smothering space in the jute bag), silky thread has loosened out of the yarn, gel pen set is still intact (don't know whether it still works), stars, ribbons, remaining non-decorated empty envelops...so many moments caught and preserved in these. Until I was done with every item, the peaceful smile never left my face. I realized it was the past I was holding onto, the best souvenir of the present. It made me acknowledge what I was, what I am now and what more can I be. Those twenty minutes of living up that piece of past was ethereal...soul touching.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Stopping by to leave a comment? That's a good gesture :)