Wednesday, 22 February 2017

Is it okay to have less, even one friend?

Just the last week we installed the POP statue of the great monk Swami Vivekanand in a corner of our house. We had bought it from Kanyakumari a while ago but since then, could not find a corner suitable enough to place the great visionary. Now that finally we have, it only looks beautiful and may I dare say, inspiring. Every time I see him, his life, his work ethics and whatever amount of rest of the knowledge I have of him inspires me. When I find something hard to do, I look at him and say, "If he could do this, I can too!" I will post a picture of us some other time. Until then, have one from the trip taken.



One of the incidents from our Swami ji's life keeps me real. It is so natural and shows the depth of his thought process so well that it's a no wonder he led an exemplary life gaining tons of followers all over the world. So the incident in particular goes somewhat like this -

Once Swami Vivekanand went on the world tour. Alone. When he returned, his friends (or may be colleagues) mocked him by asking - What did you get from such a big tour? Because he had returned alone. Being very precise and honest by nature, Vivekanand replied - I got a true follower.

Finding a true follower or in today's era, a true friend is no less than finding yourself. So yes. It's absolutely OKAY if you have only ONE friend. That one person may be hold the key to finding yourself, to the treasures of life that you can't dig alone, to find an equilibrium in times of happiness and grief. A true honest friend is like a whole grain; works on its pace but you feel fuller for a lifetime. So be happy, be light, make merry because you have what many people crave despite of being in the crowd of acquaintances.

Researches say that intelligent people tend to have less friends. Because the smarter you get, more selective you becomes. I hope I did not send you on a run to check on your friend list.

P.S. Since this morning I am having this stubborn headache, refusing to let go of me. But now as I am getting done here, it has dwindled down by a great extent. I want to credit the pleasure of Writing and not to the cup of tea I made right before I started typing here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Stopping by to leave a comment? That's a good gesture :)