Friday, 29 July 2016

The girl with the sweetest voice.

It's been raining since last night and there is no sign clouds are going to run out of their buckets very soon. Anyway, with such nice weather and all peace at home, no complaints. In fact, they have urged me to think about the best days of my life and here I am...with one.

I studied std. 7th and 8th in a Punjabi school. Our Punjabi teacher, Miss. Harjeet Kaur, was a very lovely and kind lady. I loved her and admired her and I still do. Her subject period used to be the last, the 8th period. She was such a free mind teacher that she never had the time to fuss over studies and all that. She made us do serious study as well as have fun by playing games at times. Games happened once in a while but that once was enough to keep us recharge and wide awake during her class. I always count her name whenever I pay regards to my favorite teachers.

So one day, she said, 'We are not going to study. We will play Antaakshari'. All students went dead happy and we closed our books and copies and settled for the game. If you don't know what Antaakshari is, please go Google or Bing it. You will know about this extremely popular game.

In our class, there were three rows of desks. Two of them were  occupied by the boys and one by the girls (more muscle in the class, eh!). Students were supposed to sing in turns starting from the first desk. By the time my turn came, all girls had already sang their hearts out. Being the tallest, I always had to sit at the last bench and I really didn't mind. Anything to help me with snooze.

So naturally, I was the last girl from the row to sing and by the time I was done, I was nervous. I simply sat down only to receive the first ever complement of my life. Miss. Harjeet said,

"Priyanka has the sweetest voice in the class."

At first, I gawked at her like a fool because I thought I had heard it wrong but slowly the reality hit me and pulled me out of the trance. She had really complemented me and let me tell you, reader that it was huge for me! I will tell you why. Till the 7th period that day, I took myself as a little ordinary girl with no special talents hidden or seen whatsoever but after the 8th period, I was totally a different personality with a good plunge in self-belief. I was suddenly a girl with sweet voice and if I am allowed to boast about it a little, the girl with the sweetest voice in the herd. The only thing lacked that day was The Speech after winning The Best Voice award but I could give it a pass.

As you can imagine, I was on Cloud 9. That day and for the whole day, I couldn't stop smiling at myself. I had realized that everyone is given/gifted with at least one talent. I thought I was a very simple girl and had no talents at all but I was vindicated! And I was so glad to be! Miss Harjeet Kaur (wherever she is today) has no idea that she has given me one of the best days of my life. Her compliment still makes me smile, it showcases me into a super-happy singing soul minus the mic. I hope she is doing all well and leading a happy melodious life.

That's one good memory, isn't it? Some memories never fade away never mind the time lapse, the age, or the change of places and faces. Whenever you think of them, they give you happiness and an amazing power to feel special. Baz Luhrmann in The Sunscreen has said it so right:

Remember compliments you receive, forget the insults
If you succeed in doing this, tell me how
Keep your old love letters, throw away your old bank statements, stretch
Don't feel guilty if you don't know what to do with your life.


P.S. If you are planning to hear me singing the next time you meet, forget that! The day happened centuries ago and I am sure you will not be as gentle on me as my teacher was. I just got lucky that day, you see.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Stopping by to leave a comment? That's a good gesture :)