Sunday, 24 January 2016

Spare moments are uncut diamonds.

This weekend is going really busy. With my sister shifting to the city after her abroad stay, weekends or holidays usually get spent at each other's houses. While this may be tiring at times, it is also an added source of fun, learning and dealing with life on a few different yet enjoyable fronts.

Anyways, yesterday I packed up all the outside chores and landed at her house say by 8.30 in the evening. We all had a relaxing tea time. As usual, the procession of making dinner was soon propelled and we ended up on our beds at 12.30 at night. Needless to say, I was extremely tired and body was showing precise and clear signs of cumbersome fatigue.

My sleep was interrupted at 7.41 AM. I sleazily tucked more area of the blanket around myself and craved to sleep more but then mind came at work. It requested to get up and work on my story while everyone enjoyed the much needed shut eye. After two minutes of turning sides, I finally got rid off the sack and washed my face and brushed my teeth. Everyone was still asleep.

With silent footsteps, I roamed around and fetched my laptop and the charger. And then settled down on the couch to work. Just the anticipation of getting unusual hour to write was pretty rejuvenating. The quietness, dim light setting and with sleepy loved ones around, I was somehow more at peace and vigilant. Opened all of my necessary docx files and multiple website (as part of the research) and worked blissfully for one and half hours. I ditched on my sleep due to two reasons:

1. I knew I wouldn't get such peace later at any given time of the day, and
2. The part I am working at is important and requires to be done asap.

When I got up from the couch to help my sister with the breakfast, I was satisfied with the morning and the way I started it. Co-incidentally after the breakfast, I stumbled on the below in the newspaper:

Guard well your spare moments. They are like uncut diamonds. Discard them and their value will never be known. Improve them and they will become the brightest gems in a useful life.

Ralph Waldo Emerson, poet

I am glad I cut out special diamonds out of my spare time. If I wanted I could go back to sleep but just by sacrificing an hour of sleep, I got more. The amount of rest was enough and the bucket of time I carved was also good. All in all, I agree with Ralph. He might be watching me from the heavens and nodding at the way I brought his words in action.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Stopping by to leave a comment? That's a good gesture :)