Wednesday, 19 November 2014

Never say...If I had a chance.

If I had to live my life all over again, I would relax more. I'd be sillier than I have been on this trip. I would climb more mountains, swim more rivers and watch more sunsets. I would have more actual troubles and less imaginary ones. Oh I have had my moments and if I had to to do it over again, I'd have more of them. In fact, I'd try to have nothing else, just moments, one after another. And I'd pick more daisies.

 - Nadine Stair, age 89

A wonderfully described thought on deathbed. Isn't it?

Currently I am reading Robin Sharma's Family Wisdom and the chapter I just started and finished was titled The Best Worst Experience of my Life. Intriguing by the very name I know. The book is about a lady named Catherine and her unstoppable blind race towards success and then more success. The particular chapter entails on how she came across her awakening in the final moments, at least she thought, of her life. During those final tick tocks, a collage of various pictures clouded her mind which, surprisingly for her, had none of the snapshots of her business meetings, success, money or the latest possession. It was all done up with her family's. Kids, husband and she enjoying themselves on a solo family holiday she had in Canada. She realized it was not her business that her life was worth for. It was her family that had the treasure of her happiness and success she was seeking and reeking for so long. In her words...

- of all those hundreds of thoughts that I had in those last few moments before the plane crashed, not a single one was about myself or my business. 

I am yet to read the succeeding chapter and I so desperately want to but I chose to share my thoughts here. Why it is always we realize the truth of life in our final moments and why not when we are young and enthusiastic enough to build a life as per our desires? Why life teaches us the most important lesson during our last final moments? Why?

The answer, in my perspective, is that life tries to tell us every time, that it keeps trying to push the truth of life on our face almost all the time but it is us who choose to ignore its pleas, it is us who move on negotiating its simple teaching with our baseless irrational logic and when life comes to an end eventually, it doesn't let us pass easily before punishing us. When we think similarly of Nadine Stair's, it hit us hard saying, 'I told you so' but by then, it becomes too late to act. We fail to have the parting feeling with joy, peace and satisfaction we crave for.



I believe it is always better to live life as you always wanted to. Design it, as Robin says in the chapter. Do not live life by default. Design it instead. 

Start making a PPT in your head on how your life would present itself at the end of its tenure; when you'd be waiting on your deathbed for the meeting with world to be over; when you would be ready to say final good byes to your loved ones. Promise yourself that you'd never give yourself a chance to say 'If I had a chance to start all over again'. It's never too late to begin working on a better life but the thing is...

When are we going to wake up?



2 comments:

  1. Wao, thanks a lot for wonderful article. Please keep it up. :) :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Vikas. Glad you stopped by and liked the article.

    ReplyDelete

Stopping by to leave a comment? That's a good gesture :)