Friday, 31 October 2014

Stories should be bumpy.

Currently I am reading the five people you meet in Heaven by Mitch Albom. The author needs no introduction yet I'd like to say one thing. He is an international bestseller of tuesdays with Morrie.

The reason I bought this book because it talks about afterlife. It is fascinating to tickle my senses knowing about the unknown. So...as I started the book, I liked it instantly. The protagonist, 83 year old Eddie, is as simple as any old age person and when he dies, his afterlife journey starts up. In fact, the very first chapter of the book is titled The End. Because the story starts where Eddie dies. No more secrets and let's jump on why I am here writing this post.

During one of the initial chapters, the author has molded a very thought provoking statement.

'It is because the human spirit knows, deep down, that all lives intersect. That death just doesn't take someone, it missed someone else, and in the small distance between being taken and being missed, lives are changed.'


You know I always love such stories that are bumpy; a story that forces me to stop at some points and ponder over what the author has just said. Many a times, I can easily relate myself to that. Above lines are just like that. I couldn't read further. I closed the book with my one finger between the pages and kept thinking about it. It is so true or it seems so. When death snatches someone, it does miss someone else. For a quick comprehension, when one of our beloveds die, we mourn but at the same time we breathe thankfully to our fate thinking it wasn't me. This very feeling is the other way to say that death has missed us but taken our beloved instead. Not that we feel delight about the death but less mournful than the joy of making it up to life again.

I believe stories, good stories on that note, should by bumpy. There must be certain stops where the reader glares in naught and keeps thinking about nothing but what the author has just explained in the book. Reading a story is always a journey but if it is made up of some good or unexpected or surprising stops/bumps, the destination sure becomes highly coveted and interesting.

I find the five people... by Mitch Albom highly fascinating and bumpy. Can't wait to read about the whole afterlife journey of Eddie.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Stopping by to leave a comment? That's a good gesture :)