Saturday, 15 March 2014

What makes you a feminist or the contrary?

Last Sunday on March 9th, there was an event for my book, It's Never Too Late where I got to meet some readers and conversed on some topics like publishing industry, getting published, marketing your book, things about my book and all that. The theme was simple yet touching. It was - When it's never too late. All the people present were thoroughly enjoying the session while I enjoyed my own corner with some sincere and some fun remarks. In short and whole, the evening was packed with some beautiful interaction.

There was also a Q & A round after the discussion. I was answering each one of them patiently, savoring their verity of course. I remember mostly all the queries but one question curdled into my mind, even at the spot. There was a college going girl. She asked me,

"I believe you are a feminism. As your novel is based on a woman's story and talks about it only, I can assume that you are genuinely a feminism. But do you really think it's women who are always being tormented but not males?"

She sounded more like she believed that I only speak for women's rights/things. I listened to her patiently, nodding in between (nodding does not conclude that I was agreeing to her point of view). When she was finished, I explained,

"First of all, I am not a feminist. Just because I have written a woman oriented book and I also happen to be a woman at the same time, that does not culminate into a vision that I am a feminist. If you read my book, you will also find one male character who has also suffered. I have shown his pain and tragedy too. Before being a woman, I am a human being. As human being, I focus on the pain of each and every one of us. I do not focus on women only. The pain through which males have to go through, I totally understand and respect that"

She went quiet. Obviously I had addressed her vision to the right direction. But her such particular point of view still lingers somewhere. I still think that when we writers focus on our protagonists (same gender as we are) and naturally prefer to show their various emotions on the plot canvas, does that make us feminist or the contrary? I agree that being a woman writer, it is easier for me to showcase a woman's various emotions and expressions but my comfort should not be mistaken as a particular stand to a specific gender. Men writers also pick their protagonists as males because for them as well, it is easier to pin point several perks and downs of a male personality. But no one should say that they are standing for 'Males only' rights.



To understand what feminism basically is, click HERE.

I do not hesitate to speak on women related issues like increased number of crimes against them. I choose to speak not because I am a woman but because...crimes are bad and wrong. Even if it happens with a male figure, it is still wrong. Taking a stand on something that is hurting humankind should be unarguably dismissed. If I have to speak on women's rights on valid points, I do not mind to be tagged as feminist. If I have to speak on men's right on valid points, I do not mind to take their stands. The thing is, I am taking my stands on right sides. I am speaking for something that is wrong, not narrowing down my perspective for a specific sex. Being a feminist basically means a woman trying and fighting to retrieve opportunities and rights as equal as men. And in my view, speaking for righteousness and equality is not wrong. Rather, it is good and shows your personality and thought process. Trials for equality can bring necessary positive radical changes in the society. You need not to be a part of a specific gender crowd.

I believe the girl asked the question out of a curiosity and I was more than happy to clarify her perspective. I guess from now on, she would understand at least one front of being a writer. :)


1 comment:

  1. Very Much True...Male and Female are the two facets of the human being...both complement each other and give a balance, rather than giving a conflict to each other. As a person, we should respect individuals.

    ReplyDelete

Stopping by to leave a comment? That's a good gesture :)