Monday, 26 August 2013

A grappling story of Abdullah and Pari

Currently I am reading And the mountains echoed by Khaled Hosseini. Khaled has also claimed two other interesting novels named as The Kite Runner and A Thousand Splendid Suns. I t to read them but will buy very soon as they have acclaimed international adulation.

                                                                                           

Talking about And the mountains..., it starts with a story itself. A father narrating a story to two of his children. The story is quite attention grappling. I couldn't put it down until I finished the story told by the father. It is touchy and makes sense, given the situation they fall later in the novel.

It is paged 402 and I am currently at 196th. The story so far is, there are two main characters to talk about and they are siblings, Abdullah and his little sister, Pari. They live in a little town of Afghanistan called Shadbagh (a fictitious village). Abdullah has played the role of a father to Pari. He protects her, feeds her, walks with her and even trades his last pair of shoes just to get a beautiful feather for Pari's priceless feather collection. She is dearest to him. They have step mom who doesn't care well for them, especially to Abdullah. He craves for his real dead mother on several occasions and there I couldn't help myself but wince. They are lacking in finances and Abdullah's father, Saboor, has to work hard to manage their every day bread and butter.

One day, Saboor goes to Kabul to his brother-in-law, Nabi. Nabi is a driver of Wahdati's family. There Saboor leaves or better say, sells Pari to Mrs. Wahdati. Not that he is a cruel heartless father but just to make his both ends meet, he does this and till his last breath, he cursed himself for sending Pari away. Abdullah and Pari, two bodies but with one soul, find it very hard to survive without the other but yet, life moves on. They get busy but they keep remembering the other.

I am yet to read a lot in order to finish this detailed novel. Sometimes, I find details little boring. But I have to read them anyway. As the story is moving on, I am quite curious about Pari's and Abdullah's lives as in 'What-happens-next'. I am also glad to add this writing piece to my library collection.













2 comments:

  1. Though I have not read it, I too have heard that this one is good read…
    Thanks for this write up on this book

    ReplyDelete

Stopping by to leave a comment? That's a good gesture :)