Saturday, 22 June 2013

The Top Five Regrets of The Dying

While I was reading the newspaper, an interesting article caught my attention.

In London, a nurse named Bronnie Ware (An Australian) has revealed five regrets or wishes that people usually made at the time of their death. Bronnie served numerous patients during the last 12 weeks of their lives. She was caring and palliative towards them. She made sure to collect those wishes at their death beds and made a compilation of the same on a blog named Inspiration and Chai. Her blog hogged so much of prying eyes and attention that she had to think of expanding her observations transformed into a book. The book is titled as The Top Five Regrets of The Dying.

                                                                                      

Interesting! Isn't it? Let's have a look on those top five regrets of the dying.


  1. I wish I had had the courage to live a life true to myself, not the life others expected of me.
  2. I wish I'd had the courage to express my feelings.
  3. I wish I hadn't worked so hard.
  4. I wish I had stayed in touch with my friends.
  5. I wish that I had led myself be happier.
Did I hear all the wishes right? I hear no money, no fame, no power but all possible human emotions and desires? It comes a little wonder to me given the fact that world is now driven by three incoherent musketeers of money, power and fame. No one had wished anything materialistic but about those things that are normal, easy enough to achieve and can be found anywhere, anytime. 

It is very intriguing topic to discuss I find. Let's discuss all the above five wishes in a little more detail.

1. I wish I had had the courage to live a life true to myself, not the life others expected of me.

Living a life true to yourself is something that we all should do. We can never ever keep everyone, including the entire quota of our loved ones too in the list, happy and satisfied. Thus, it's better not to pander other's negative desires and silly demands. Rather, keep nurturing positive attitude. Keep living a life that serves you the happiness you deserve and you serve it with the numinous value it demands in return.



2. I wish I'd had the courage to express my feelings.

In the era of digitization where we are now suffused with endless gadgets, still we fail to express ourselves. Mobiles, pagers, computers, letters and there are so many things via which we can easily deliver even the simple messages like 'I love you', 'I care for you', or 'I miss/remember you' to each other, to our loved ones. One medium of expression can work wonders on the relationships. Keep expressing your emotions so that you don't have to pester at least for this 2nd wish at your death bed.



3. I wish I hadn't worked so hard.

Work hard and you may beget more money. Does it really hold true by all means? Hard work may beget money but it also lures stress, tension, health problems and so many other unwanted issues. These all can wreck a havoc on your life without blinking. Spending less time with family is another but major drawback of working hard. We all can survive on less money as well unless we give up on our piling up demands. So, work less harder and enjoy the life better.



4. I wish I had stayed in touch with my friends.

Friends are the panacea for almost everything. At least I believe in this. When I chat with my friends, I find my stress and other negative issues puffing out from the equation in no time. I feel naturally very happy and relaxed. Be it whether night outs, a casual meeting, parties, shopping sprees, group studies or even cooking sessions, friends make everything more feasible and easier. If we have a bunch of good friends, we can easily lead a happier life.



5. I wish that I had led myself be happier.

I guess this one tops the list. Everyone wants to be happy and to remain in the same stupor forever. Then what it is that makes it difficult? What it is that bars our opportunities of being led from happy to happier? One answer may be hidden in ourselves. WE are the one that hinges such opportunities. When we can spend time with our family, we play games; when we can catch up with friends, we are busy in sorting out piled up work; when we are supposed to make love, we are busy in watching TV; when we are due to deliver anniversary greetings, we forget. Every time or you can say, most of the time it is US who stops ourselves from being happier. Others are also a part of this as some people have the tendency to disturb others and bake their cakes on their atrocities but if we are strong enough to let them not enter into our system, they can never malfunction our life; they can never pollute it any way. 

Death is a leveler. None of us knows when it will come and in which form. Before it's too late, live life completely imbued with happiness and all the other wishes that you don currently so that you don't have to make any of these regrets at your death bed.













No comments:

Post a Comment

Stopping by to leave a comment? That's a good gesture :)