Thursday, 24 January 2013

The concept lying underneath a game

This evening, my son was playing Chess with his one neighborhood friend. Initially they both were keen to play Ben 10 games on the laptop but this time, I mooted the idea of Chess to them and much to my amazement, they happily agreed to commence it at the drop of a hat.

So they started playing with laying the Chess board and placing the players at their respective positions. I went curious. I made tea for myself and sat with them in the anticipation of witnessing an interesting match. But mostly I wanted to observe their mind set before and after making a move, the mental status at the time of losing a player and lastly but the most important target was to see how they react when one loses and other wins.

A battle of minds
Finally the game started and sooner I could see my son losing his big players easily. His friend was playing sharper than him. He is older to my son but that definitely can not be used as an excuse. Chess is the mind game and one must have the acumen to play it right. I could see my son has lost his repertoire of playing it at some fair extent. He used to play this game with his father every now and then but somehow the chain was broken and the continuity of playing this stand-out game took a pause. I think that is the main reason because of which he wasn't able to pay much attention to the players' positions, their counter-attacks, the possible consequences of his moves, how to shield check-mate and all the important facets of the game.

I made a mental note during the game that he should start playing it with us like earlier. Thankfully, his school is also organizing Chess classes on every Saturday. This will also help him to polish his skills.

During my sips, I was enjoying my time. I wasn't interrupting any of them especially my son otherwise I'd have gotten tagged as 'A biased mother' instantly on the spot. I was just taking part to resolve their little battles when any confusion jumped off the cliff.

I could see them fiddling with the players, scratching their heads, grinning when other lost his player, teaching each other some alien rules of the game, eyeing the coveted King all the time and banging their heads at the time of Check-mate. The time was truly a pleasing anecdote. To put some performance pressure, I announced one who win the game would be called as "Vishwanathan Anand" (An Indian International Chess Champion) and needless to say, his friend won the title. He was happy to claim it in his stride and I was happy for him too. My son's face went gloomy and he was lament for losing the game but one must understand the concept lying underneath a game.

Loosing and winning are only two extreme parts of a game. Midway things matter most and how you handle your victory or loss also counts as a remark of a good player.

I made my son to understand it's absolutely okay to lose a game but sometimes, it takes a while to absorb our failures and to emerge out of it as a winner. And I am quiet sure he will.





















No comments:

Post a Comment

Stopping by to leave a comment? That's a good gesture :)